Mom@Home

Blogs of a SAHM ... News articles and discussions that are relevant to the stay-at-home parent ... Joys and challenges of the hardest and most rewarding 24/7 job there is

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Mommy's Day-Off

I stay at home. Do I need a day off? Isn't everyday nowadays a day off?

I answer "Yes" to the first one, and "No" to the second. Well, let me digress. I don't need an entire day off. I wonder what I would do if given one anyway. If I didn't have a whole day event to go to, an entire day away is more than I need. But a couple of hours off every once in a while is not just a luxury. It's necessary for my peace of being. I don't have to do anything special. Simply buying groceries or window-shopping by myself is a wonderful break. What refreshes is simply being outside without having to be constantly vigilant lest my son eat whatever little piece of paper he gets his hands on.

My online SAHM friends are always happy to report when they get an entire day to pursue their own interests. Are they bad mommies? Nope, definitely not. We all need to take care of ourselves, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, so that we can give our best to our families.

Right now, as you've probably guessed, I'm having a little time off. I'm writing this blog in the local library. Our home computer crashed, so it's given me an excuse to hie off while my mom stays with my sleeping son. ;) It's one of life's little luxuries. :)

3 Comments:

  • At 5:12 AM, Blogger Singa Mama said…

    it's just like any other job. SAHM's most of all need some time off, considering it's a 24/7 work!

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Being a mom alone is difficult already let alone stay home 24/7 caring for your child/children doing everything for them first before your own needs. I got my groove in taking breaks, spending a day off without my children after my twin boys turned 2. So when the third one (another boy)came along, I was so relaxed and guilt free spending quiet time to myself. As they say, your children reflect your well-being. Cheers for more mommy time!

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Brenda said…

    I can definitely identify. Even an hour of time is precious to a stay-at-home mom, because our job is non-stop. It's wonderful, but it's non-stop!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home