Mom@Home

Blogs of a SAHM ... News articles and discussions that are relevant to the stay-at-home parent ... Joys and challenges of the hardest and most rewarding 24/7 job there is

Saturday, May 28, 2005

My Yo-yo Baby

Sometimes I sit on the floor and just let my son walk hither and yon around me. At 15 months, he's walking really well and seems to enjoy every minute of it. One of his favorite destinations in our home is the side panel on our front door where he can look out at the world outside. Back and forth, he would go. To the door to peer out for a few seconds, his nose and hands flat on the glass. Then back again to me, for a hug, a smile or simply to touch base. It reminds me of a time many years ago.

I was at a friend's house. She had 2 sons, the youngest being 4 years old at that time. As we talked, her little son came in from playing, said "Mama", gave her a hug and went off again to his adventures as fast as his legs could carry him. And I remember saying, "How wonderful to be a mom just like that someday".

That "someday" is now today. I have my very own yoyo baby. I am my son's safe haven. He may get interested in the workings of the world outside but always he returns to me. I know it will not last long, as his wanderings will take him further and further away. But for now, he returns, for a warm hug and a smile, even as his tiny steps waggle this way and that. And my arms will always be open to welcome him from his adventures at the front door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home