Mom@Home

Blogs of a SAHM ... News articles and discussions that are relevant to the stay-at-home parent ... Joys and challenges of the hardest and most rewarding 24/7 job there is

Monday, June 20, 2005

SAHMs want to work

When a mom contemplates being a SAHM, it seems that a common question that comes up is what to do... for additional income, in her spare time, to keep from getting bored. As if there's not enough to do in taking care of the kids, the hubby and the home, we still have to add to our daily activities. It's all for various reasons. Self-fulfillment. To feel productive. To contribute financially.

These reasons are all valid. We all need to find and do those things that fulfill us as persons and make us happy. It's so common that when you google the term "stay-at-home mom", a lot of the hits are about work from home opportunities. When I made the decision to be a SAHM, I also thought about the work options that remained available to me. The ideal choice was indeed something that allowed me to work from home, keep my own hours, and be on leave for family vacations and sick days whenever I needed to be.

I know of a number of SAHMs who've found their niches. Setting up a home or internet business. Taking consulting work. Finishing a degree by correspondence. These are all options that are available. The trick seems to be to identify those gifts and talents that a SAHM can offer at her own terms, and then to find an avenue for them.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger Carbon said…

    I so know what you mean. I feel that way too. I felt guilty for a while because I wasn't contributing financially. However, I've learned to get over that. I do so much for our family unit and my work hours are not 9-5 Monday-Friday! But, I would like to find something just to give me a sense of self-fulfillment as you say and to get a few extra bucks to spend on me would be great too! I'm quite enjoying your blog. Thanks for the great insights.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Jadevine said…

    Hi Mommymaki, Good for you! While I don't like to sing my own praises, us SAHMs need to realize that what we do is valuable in and of itself. I'm still new at this so I'm really still adjusting. But doing something I can consider as my own "project" (like blogging!) seems to do me a world of good. Thanks for visiting; comments like yours are a great encouragement to me! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home