Mom@Home

Blogs of a SAHM ... News articles and discussions that are relevant to the stay-at-home parent ... Joys and challenges of the hardest and most rewarding 24/7 job there is

Monday, September 05, 2005

I Miss Whiteboards

I was watching TV earlier today, and a commercial came on. I forget what it's for but there was a guy talking and pointing at diagrams drawn on a whiteboard. And this feeling of nostalgia suddenly hit me. I miss whiteboards. I miss the environment they're found in. Squeaky dry-erase markers. Fully air-conditioned conference rooms. Cushy chairs around a long table. Low-pile carpeting. Meetings with a purpose.

My longing for intellectual exercise is stronger than I previously thought. I'm trying to think of the options I have. I could probably sit in at one of the weekly talks that go on at one of the plant science departments. I could take a class too, I suppose.

I'm already thinking of the logistics I'll need to take care of to attend a talk regularly. Parking. Prepping dinner ahead of time. Will it be too weird to show up where my former bosses and colleagues will also be present? Would they think I'm planning to back to work soon? I can say I only want to keep abreast of developments so as not to fall too far behind, which isn't a bad idea anyway. Or just admit I miss them. ;) Some of them might actually be reading this (maybe you'll see me at a talk one of these days, or not :) ).

Maybe I should just get out of my chair and do it, huh?

4 Comments:

  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Carbon said…

    Go for it! It might take extra effort at first but if it brings you some happiness it's well worth it. Happy mommy = happy kids !

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Genesis said…

    i think you should go for it. while people a SAHM might be a challenge, and u probably enjoy it...some of it. i dont know. im not a mother, u should get out more...its like the other day when u said u had a chance to go out, but had nowhere to go. go there learn, and socialize. have a life outside the home, and the internet

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it will take a bit of planning, but no harm in trying it. if it doesn't work out, or if you eventually find it too complicated to juggle your tasks, you can always stop.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Was just browsing parenitng blogs and came upon yours - enjoying it! And on the subject of getting out and being where the whiteboards are - go for it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home